5 Star Review of Matthew Bourne’s THE RED SHOES – Sadler’s Wells

https://www.londontheatre1.com/news/155934/review-matthew-bournes-the-red-shoes-5-star/

THE RED SHOES. Ashley Shaw 'Victoria Page'.
THE RED SHOES. Ashley Shaw ‘Victoria Page’. Photo by Johan Persson
Occasionally a show is so overwhelming in its awesomeness that I have real trouble translating my thoughts and feelings about it into words on a screen. Just such a show is Matthew Bourne’s new production The Red Shoes which is firmly ensconced for the Christmas period at Sadler’s Wells.
Based on the cult movie of the same name by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger and using music by acclaimed composer Bernard Herrman, arranged by Terry Davies, The Red Shoes tells the story of Victoria Page (Ashley Shaw) a ballet dancer who is discovered by Boris Lermontov (Sam Archer) and becomes a member of his touring ballet group. As well as Victoria, Lermontov also discovers composer Julian Craster (Dominic North). Lermontov is a hard taskmaster who believes the only thing his dancers should have an interest in is ballet – everything else is secondary and must not be allowed to interrupt a dancer’s dedication to the dance. Julian writes a new ballet around the Hans Christian Andersen story The Red Shoes with Victoria in the lead role. The ballet is an instant hit and as the curtain comes down, Lermontov realises that Victoria and Julian have become more than just colleagues. How will Lermontov react to this unexpected and, to his mind, highly unwelcome turn of events and can Victoria find a way to satisfy the two men in her life?
Before going to The Red Shoes, I was concerned that maybe The Red Shoes would not live up to the very high expectations I had in my head. So, let’s start with a simple statement about The Red Shoes – Matthew Bourne has done it again!!! As anyone that knows me, or has read some of my reviews knows, I really like Matthew’s work and, until last night, The Car Man was my absolute favourite but I have to say I now have a new favourite. This show is perfect from start to its absolutely amazing ending.
Let’s break things down a bit here. Don’t worry if you haven’t seen the film – I saw it once about 10 years ago and barely remembered it – as the choreography makes the narrative really easy to follow. Rather like the movie, the show includes a stand-alone ballet within it and it sits perfectly in as part of the overall story. The music, which has mainly been taken from the fabulous back catalogue of Bernard Herrman, is often familiar and always feels appropriate to the action of the dancers.
 
I’m also going to mention here Lez Brotherston who has designed probably the most amazing set I’ve ever seen for a dance production. Based around a highly moveable proscenium arch and stage curtains, it transforms from front of stage to backstage to beach at Monte Carlo to a wonderful period when it is both a hovel and a sumptuous bedroom and so many other locations. Added to the set are the sumptuous costumes which look absolutely stunning and are totally appropriate for the time when the show is set.
Moving to the dancers and, as with all dance productions, there are different combinations of dancers that perform each night. In the synopsis above, I have named those that were at the performance I saw but, having seen much of Matthew’s work, I know that every cast will be equally as fantastic as the one I saw. My attention was held by the superb dancing of the entire cast. There was a surprising amount of humour – keep an eye out for Lady Neston (Daisy May Kemp) and her guests’ expressions at the soiree – and some wonderfully emotional moments between the three leads.
The real problem I’ve encountered in writing this review is trying to get my thoughts about The Red Shoes down in words. During the interval, I was talking with another reviewer and I couldn’t stop myself smiling and going over every nuance of the first half. At the end, I was actually shaking with emotion as I had been so wrapped up in the story and, very unusual for me, I was one of the first to rise to my feet as the cast took their bows. The buzz outside the theatre was palpable and all the comments I could hear were so positive. I can only agree with those comments, and add one more of my own. Now Matthew Bourne and his team have created The Red Shoes it can never be un-created and years from now I believe that dance companies will still be performing the show and receive the same plaudits we are giving it now.
5 Star Rating
Review by Terry Eastham

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Lesson From Aloes at the Finborough Theatre | Review

Hello Dolly by Blackburn Musical Theatre Company - Review

Top 10 of 2017